Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Trailing Spouse is Born!

I am proud to have been a Trailing Spouse (TS) for many a year now. I’ve happily trailed with the Department for International Development, the United Nations and now Habitat for Humanity International, an American non-profit organization serving the world, and all because I have a brilliant wife.


The term “trailing spouse,” was coined by Mary Bralove of the Wall Street Journal in 1981, for the female partners of expatriates in the military, diplomatic, government and private sector who relinquish their own careers in order to pursue their partner’s move abroad. Now that couples are switching roles and reversing gender stereotypes an increasing number of TSs are male. 

Prior to being posted overseas, like many British citizens, I had a Ferrero Rocher image of life as a diplomatic spouse – of Ambassador’s receptions, sparkling company and James Bond intrigue.  It was shattered when I was required to attend an interview at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London. 

The vetting officer from the FCO fixed me with a stern eye. Had I ever beaten up my girlfriend (now wife), did I get drunk and start fights in public?

“I have to ask,” he said. “When overseas, diplomats tend to lose their inhibitions. They develop drink problems, physically abuse their wives, get into arguments and start fights at official functions, often causing a scene.”

Hang on, Mr. Interrogator. I am about to suspend my career to follow the better half abroad. I am already worried about what I am going to do with myself for the next 3 years in a foreign environment. I am just the humble boyfriend of a “UK based staff member.” All I know about the traits, values and behaviors of your elite tribe I learned from books and films, not close observation.  

He remained unfazed. “You are a male. And, if you were to beat up your girlfriend, or cause a drunken scene at an official function, you will be immediately recalled to the UK.”

I did not point out to the vetting officer that I would expect no less nor did I so much as hint that he was being sexist, presuming me violent on basis of gender. Instead, I meekly promised to be on best behavior throughout the duration of our first posting to Thailand. As it turned out I was not remotely tempted to pick fights at the British Embassy May Ball or even the Queen Vic, the Embassy’s pub, the ghastliness of which matches its EastEnders original.


During the first days in Bangkok, I received an invitation to a tea party at the flat of the Community Liaison Officer (CLO), one of whose main functions is to help new arrivals settle into post. I duly turned up at the appointed hour. There were a dozen female spouses, most of whom had been in Thailand quite a while, and me. They were dowdy in denim. I was cute in chinos.

After some slightly stilted small talk about apartments near the Embassy (with pool, gym and tennis court paid for by you, dear British taxpayers), thieving maids (one spouse had gone through seven in two years), and Thai women (universally dismissed as “slags” and “bar girls”) came the interview.

“What does your partner do?” I was the only person in the room to be asked that question. What did I do back home in England? I was a journalist. Shock flared up instantly in every eye. I was later to learn that civil servants, their spouses, and all their remaining servants, universally loathe and mistrust all members of the UK press. 

Would I be working in Bangkok? The options open to a trailing spouse were limited. Teach English “on an unofficial basis” to the natives. Work within the diplomatic mission at the “British Embassy Purchasing Group” (selling plonk and Marmite at the Commissary). Or renew passports in the Consular Section for “sexpats, drunks, drug addicts and tax dodgers” (the 50,000 non-official British community in Thailand), for a “locally engaged rate,” (not the UK minimum wage even though the Embassy is UK territory).  

It was a gloomy picture. Positions for trailing spouses in the local economy were even more limited and salaries even lower. Some TSs refuse to work altogether as you have to give up your diplomatic passport and all the privileges that go with it. Stuff that, I thought, deciding to lie around the swimming pool and go Thai Boxing until I had a better idea.

Back at the CLO’s tea party, I asked about their husbands. None of them said they would let their man out into the Bangkok night on his own. The temptation of massage parlors, strip clubs, girly bars and ping-pong shows was just too great.  Or so they feared. If it was a night out watching an England game, in one of the British themed pubs of the capital, then that was OK. Sort of. 

Surely the spouses of the British Embassy in Bangkok could not all be racist, sexist, little Englanders, with nothing but contempt for the host culture and not an ounce of trust between them for their husbands? Maybe that was just the signal they were giving to the alien male in their elite company.   

Trailing spouses, diplomatic or otherwise, are almost invariably female. A male TS is an oddity, a freakish phenomenon, an enemy in the camp. Although I officially existed, socially I did not.

Every gathering and function with FCO, DFID, UN officials and the motley crew of local expatriates would, thereafter, become an exercise in tolerance and self-restraint. Men viewed me as a love rival or a parasite, women as a gigolo (and probably one with a Thai mistress on the side). 

People refused to believe that I worked because I worked from home, and wrote. I was cast as the himbo and not the househusband. Supposed friends, even some work colleagues of my wife, made up stories, spread gossip. Bitchy comments would be made when my wife offered to pay my part on a restaurant bill (as couples do), but say nothing when I paid.

The Post Security Manager once asked, "Don't you get tired following your wife round the world and poncing off her?" Another from the Political Section once said to me, "Everyone thinks you're an unemployed guy who lives off the earnings of his wife." I remembered the briefing from the FCO’s vetting officer about not starting fights and rose to nary a word of it.

As a couple we were viewed and identified as “different,” “eccentric,” and “weird.” The men did not consider me equal. The women dismissed me as inferior, unable to earn my keep, unlikely to make a move on them. It hurt. At first. Then I learned to find it funny. If they wanted a himbo, I’d give them David Niven in the role with maybe just a hint of Richard Gere.

Do I lunch, shop and day spa? You bet. I was the first man in history to get his arms waxed at the local salon. Eyebrow threading to keep the Dennis Healey look at bay, and deep cleanse facials (once a week) became routine.  

And let’s not forget the gym, sweeties. Boy, did I go to the gym. Morning PT followed by Thai Boxing down the slaughterhouse district in the afternoon five to six times per week. Thai massage (minus “happy ending”) twice a week to compensate for age and over-exercising. Day in day out, no matter what, Johnny Homemaker’s gotta look good and stay fit for Mrs. Breadwinner.  

With the role came female company, and female problems.  Boozy lunches with lonely ladies, always looking for the male perspective on their love problems, helped settle me into the trophy husband role. This was usually followed by afternoon sessions of even more drinking and bitching back at the flat.  

The expat lonely-hearts club had a healthy membership list. The flirty girl from the Bangkok Post; the teenage supermodel with an acute case of cannabinoid psychosis, the willowy, blonde PhD from Australia doing her thesis on refugee displacement, the American heiress who threw a Christmas tree at me (reader, I promise you, I didn’t throw it back,) the list of lovelies goes on and on.

They all complained about the lack of suitable men (“Bangkok is full of losers”) and how, despite the contempt of most people we knew, they wanted to have a relationship “like you and your wife…how do I get that?”  I listened to their problems and gave counsel. They gave much needed advice on ingrown hairs. There was never any monkey business. I was a heterosexual variation on that well loved social institution, the Gay Best Friend.

Fast-forward ten years, I am still the trailing spouse, still the househusband working from home, still tasked with all the usual chores, picking up dry cleaning for the wife, DIY, washing dishes, garbage detail, etc. This burden was light in Bangkok when we had a maid with a black belt in ironing. But we are in the USA now, sans maid, happily living amongst the gay couples, gun owners and nuclear families of Virginia Highlands, Atlanta.



I try to be Mr. Perfect but no man is.  I am lazy in the kitchen.  And my wife is a better cook than me.  She grumbles (light heartedly, I hope) about cooking for her trophy man after a hard day saving the world from poverty and bad housing.  I show off my pedicure, my six-pack and the three thousand words I wrote that day.  And, just occasionally, we wonder what the trailing spouses of Thailand are bitching about tonight.

19 comments:

  1. So FUNNY!!!
    I read your similar article in The Times today because I was, er having lunch with similar females because I am.......a STUD too!! Albeit in sunny Surrey and not the United States of Amazement.
    Unlike you I haven't had the one career though I do like writing, instead I was in the military, then went to uni as a mature student - aka the novelty shag (no I didn't), had a job post uni then wife fell pregnant, she earned more than me so hey presto, here I am bringing up two girls, in the suburban hell of banker belt, offering advice on the 'husband mind' and sipping chai tea with the ladies while a beauty technician varnishes my nails (I'm lying about that last bit!).
    I'd love to borrow your Spouse Travelling Under Duress name but add Surrey to it if I may,STUDS. You've inspired me to write my own blog on this subject because it does have to be seen to be believed from a male point of view.
    Anyway, great fun reading your stuff and looking forward to the next post.
    Are you now baking muffins every week for the ladies' coffee morning stateside? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much. I am glad you enjoyed it. I think you should set up a STUD blog asap! I am adding links to this blog that may be of interest to you and other trailing spouses be they male or female. Thanks for your support. I will be posting regularly.

      Delete
  2. Wow - I'm completely gobsmacked by how bad your experience was in Thailand. I'm a male trailing spouse too (in my case attached to a DFID official on posting in Africa), and my experience has been the polar opposite. While there are definite frustrations with living out in the global sticks (don't even ask about the internet connection), the biggest plus point about the whole undertaking has been how easy it's been to make a sackload of really great friends - whether among the other UK trailing spouses (both male and female), their partners in the civil service, or other expats. No-one has ever batted an eyelid at the fact that I work from home (and I can think off the top of my head of at least three other male UK trailing spouses who do the same) - I'm just open-mouthed at the comments you got from the FCO officials you mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous in Africa, greetings fellow male DFID spouse! I am so glad that your experience is not mine. I would not want to wish that on any member of my sex. It may have had something to so with being (a) the only male spouse with DFID at the UK mission at that time and (b) being super sexy, highly educated, suavely sophisticated, ultra connected (and modest with it). They still got lousy internet in Africa? There was a great report on CNN some years ago about the lack of broadband. Am sorry to hear that it has not improved. But you are with DFID so put a word in to get that shit fixed. Working from home... I got a LOT of crap about that. Sheesh, this is the 21st Century. You can work from home no prob coz of mail, email, phones, scanners, skype (great for meetings)and fax machines (still handy). The plus side was being central in Bangkok, near all the good restaurants, and single white females (and they were all hot) calling me up to go out lunching and boozing (how can I refuse?) As for those comments from FCO staff. Yep. That all went down. Bad, huh? But forgive them know not what they do. Do stay tuned for the next blog. There's a few trailing spouse themed articles from the UK press in the "My Ting, Blud" section that might be of interest to you, and some links to trailing spouse studies and networks in the "Bombaclats" section.

      Delete
  3. Hey Johnny Home-maker....funny article...All I can say is thank god someone still has the time to sit around and write great articles like this all day....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sitting around at home and writing all day (and all night!) Thank you very much for your kind words. stay tuned. Sending you big love in the diplomatic bag. Johnny Gigolo.

      Delete
  4. You are right, not all British Embassy spouses are "racist, sexist, little Englanders, with nothing but contempt for the host culture and not an ounce of trust between them for their husbands?", but no one would know that from this drivel. Look around and see the many hard working, volunteering spouses making the most of their time overseas, learning the language, culture and with the greatest of respect for host countries. It is not easy for TSs male or female, the least we can do is help and support each other not 'bitch' as you have so successfully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, I do not presume that all British Embassy staff are like the ones I met.I would be really worried if they were.However, I feel obliged to explain: I am writing about my experiences. I have been lucky to hear from others who have had nothing but great experiences and have expressed sympathy for what has been a bad one in my case. You are correct. It is not easy for trailing spouses and it would have been nice to have had more help and support from other trailing spouses around me, be they male or female. Unfortunately, as my experience above (and in The Times) has shown, that was not the case. I was also shocked to meet embassy staff and their spouses who deliberately chose not to learn the language or indeed understand the culture around them. If you were to read the articles on the links above, you will see my assimilation into the host culture was more complete than others.

      Delete
  5. Jane Lacey-SmithMay 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

    It’s a shame that you obviously didn’t have the rich and rewarding experience that I and my “trailing (male) spouse” had during my posting to Bangkok from 2000 to 2005. It’s also a shame that by writing this article you have decided to follow the Ferrero Rocher route (yawn - you even mentioned it) that so wrongly labels the people and their families who choose to work for HMG abroad.
    It’s not a landscape I ever encountered in Bangkok – and I was a frequent visitor to the Embassy after 2005 as I was posted to nearby Hong Kong and returned to Bangkok regularly until 2010 so I was also there when you were - but I guess it makes for a much juicier article. I wonder whether you realise that the CLO and friends whom you denigrate in your article can be easily identified? Or is your arrogance (or ignorance of libel) such that it doesn’t bother you?
    Just three points:
    It’s a great wordbite that the facilities provided at the Embassy are: “pool, gym and tennis court paid for by you, dear British taxpayers”. But do balance it out for your readers to also highlight the various (and not inconsequential) sums awarded to you personally as the partner of an HMG officer overseas: the allowances, the free housing and the fare paid leave journeys (also paid for by you, dear British taxpayers)?
    You sneer that you could have got a job within the Mission “to renew passports in the Consular Section ….for a “locally engaged rate,” (not the UK minimum wage even though the Embassy is UK territory)”. You miss the critical point that it is a very decent wage by Thai living standards, and that not everyone does a job to get the best pay or to say “look at me”. My spouse worked outside the Mission for over 2 years (on an official basis, giving up his Diplomatic Passport without a “stuff that”) and then moved to the Consular Section as a Pro Consul for the last 2 years of our posting which included the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami. He drove down to Phuket that day and stayed for a fortnight, identifying the dead, zipping body bags and comforting relatives. No doubt you’d have been in the journalist pack who came down a few weeks later, ready to blame, ready to sensationalise - and ready to barf all over their i-phones and expense accounts once my husband showed them the reality of the insufficiently cooled morgue.
    “As a couple we were viewed and identified as “different,” “eccentric,” and “weird”. I’d venture that this might be directly connected to the fact that you were different, eccentric and weird rather than the fact you happened to be a male spouse. And if being a trailing spouse is what’s really beating up your ego, then I wouldn’t worry: your partner’s life in any Mission is going to be so miserable now that her colleagues know you’ll knife them in the back for the sake of good copy, you’d be wise to look for something that makes you the Alpha Male (or should that be Daily Mail?)




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms Lacey-Smith, I am glad that my article in The Times hit a raw nerve. If you refer to the reply above, you will see that I explained that I am writing about my experiences from a first person perspective. This is my experience, unique to me. You wonder whether I realize that characters mentioned in this article can be easily recognized. You ask whether I am arrogant or just ignorant of UK libel laws. I can assure you, madam, I am neither. The same goes for my boss at The Times. The backlash this article and blog has generated, amongst a certain group of people, is, I venture, their shock at seeing their bad behaviour so exposed. There is nothing in my work that is libelous. So do be careful with your threats. They are unfounded. To your comments about the additional perks paid for by the British taxpayer, please remain a loyal reader of this blog because I will be posting about that in the months to come (you mean as the partner of an HMG officer overseas I was eligible for an allowance? I don't think DFID had that. Damn, I should complain). Local jobs and wages. Let me quote from the DFID SEA Post Report Bangkok (page 20 of 29) Working Spouses and Partners (127) "Although there are opportunities to work within the mission, these are limited and mainly at administrative level. All such jobs are at local rates, which are very low by comparison with UK pay rates." Consequently, I found it more rewarding to continue working for the UK press. Ah, the Tsunami! That Achilles heel of the UK Mission and the default setting of everyone wanting to make out that they somehow have the monopoly on a tragedy. Anyone who was in that region at that time was affected, directly and indirectly, by the events of Dec 26 2004 when hundreds and thousands of people died. This did not seem to register with the embassy. All they cared about was their reputation and it is just not me saying that. We all knew people who died or lost family members. For the record, I was not a member of any press pack. And, in any case, the press is not there to prop up the failings of an ill equipped embassy. I refer you to the National Audit Office report (Nov 30, 2006) on the shortcomings and "selfishness" of the British Embassy in response to the disaster. This quote comes from a survivor in the NAO report: "I suggest we need better trained professional British embassy staff who do not treat the public as idiots and get rid of that superiority. I was very close to changing my nationality, in fact i thought their whole attitude was appalling." Another survivor said, "There was a lack of understanding and almost that we were in the way. They were out of their depth and totally overwhelmed." But of course this does not detract from the good work that your husband did. I was viewed as different, eccentric and weird because I look as if I come from an ethnic minority. Many members of the UK Mission seemed unaware that the UK is a multicultural nation with a Race Relations Act. I lost count how many times I was told that I did not look English. I would have been identifiable had I had worn a yellow star on my shirt. Let me bring your attention to the intro of this blog post, "I am proud to have been a trailing spouse" there's nothing beating at my ego, luv, but I would like to address the other threat you make, that my wife's life would be miserable in another posting. It seems you really are confirming my experiences. You allude that my wife would be shut out by her colleagues. That's not very diplomatic, is it? And on the last point, admit it, what really grates is that The Times asked me to write this article and not The Daily Mail.

      Delete
  6. Get a job. A proper one, I mean. I've got a trailing spouse and he's never experienced what you describe. Your article has conformed to all the cliches and assumptions about civil servants abroad. Who actually do a great job despite your complaints. This is insulting. It's not even well-written. I'm switching off, I suggest others do likewise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a job, little lady. And it pays a LOT more than yours! And don't chat shit. This is well written. That's why you are pissed off.

      Delete
  7. What makes you think a lady (and a little one at that) wrote that? There's more diversity in FCO than you think.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't chat shit? Are you sure you don't write for The Sun?

    ReplyDelete

  9. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/colonel-bleep-574414

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog. I became a “stud” in Mozambique at end of January. My fantastic but long suffering wife, who works for DFID, emailed me your Sunday Times article and the link to your blog. Laughed out loud and winced at some of the experiences you have had. I have to say that my personal experience so far has been nothing but good. Our first time in Africa, a truly fascinating, complex, and challenging place, and we have met some great people and had a lot of support and help. However, I can still relate to (and sympathise with) what you went through: it sounds pretty awful. My wife says I am not a stud because I am not under duress - more stupid (spouse trailing unconsciously pathetic in denial). She can be harsh at times. True, in that I was only too happy to give up my last job in a telecoms call centre. Call centres are strange and soul destroying places to work . However I was surprised by how much I defined myself, and others defined me, by my work, and how I am struggling to find a new role/direction. I am now learning to laugh at the occasional embarrassed silence I can get when people ask what I do or who I am. So thank you very much for your blog which came at just the right time for me. Funny, sharp, and witty writing and great advice and links for us studs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mt Shute, greetings fellow DFID spouse and thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad that your experience has been better than mine. It seems that DFID has more male spouses than the FCO, which makes it the more enlightened bureaucracy of the two, I guess. You were wise to give up that gig in the call centre. That shit will kill you. And you are in Africa. Listen to the jungle drums, get a safari suit, a big rifle and go big game hunting asap. I will be adding more links in the weeks to come to mailing spouse support group, studies and networks. Hope this finds you in good spirits.

    ReplyDelete